Hi again !
I hope I don’t bore you (yet!) with my posting. This time I want to you to try this kind of cookies, this cookies is tasty, cheesy and addictive (according to my mom). When I lived in Singapore, every time I came home to visit my mom I usually baked this cookies for her, she loves it a lot. She think my Kaastengel is the best that she ever tasted. Thank you for the compliments, mom !!! You’re the best, mom.
Being occupied by Dutch people for about 350 years, Indonesian cooking has a lot of Dutch influences. Kaastengels is one of them. We usually serve this cookies during festive events like Eid Fitr, Christmas and Chinese New Year.
Here’s what the cookies looks like
I have tried different recipes, and this recipe works for me.
- 125 gr unsalted butter
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 25 gr cornstarch
- 150 gr all purpose flour
- 100 gr grated aged Edam cheese
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Eggs wash; combine 1 medium egg yolk with 1 tsp of water
- 50 gr grated cheddar cheese
1.Using electric mixer, mix butter and egg yolks with medium speed just until well mixed. It’s about 2 minutes.
2. Add grated cheese to the butter mixture, don’t over mix just until well-combined.
3. Add flour,cornstarch,baking powder to the mixture. Mix with rubber spatula and knead until the dough formed together. Wrap with the plastic and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degree Celcius, roll the dough and cut into cookies cutters or cut into small rectangles 1×3 cm. Place the cookies on the baking sheet with parchments paper, brush each with egg wash and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake until done, about 15 minutes.