When I was still living in Singapore, I used to get this dessert from hawker place. There is a stall in Bukit Timah Market and Food Center selling this dessert. The combination between the steamed cassava and the coconut milk has the right balance. I love it.
Since we moved to USA , whenever I crave for this snack I have to make my own. So far I have not found this snack in Thai restaurant that I have been to. It’s not hard to make this but it was convenient for me just to buy it from hawker place ( I know I sounded like spoiled kid)
Now, just looking at this picture made me want to eat this right away. Okay, let’s start cooking. You can get fresh cassava from Asian supermarket in USA, in USA cassava is called Yucca. The supermarket (RALPH’S) close where I live has ASIAN goods’ section so I just got them from there. Choose the ones that are not squishy when you check the skin.
- 800 gr cassava/yucca/tapioca, peel the skin. Cut about 5 cm long each and cut into half. Cut off the hard part in the middle
- 1 liter water
- pinch of salt
- 200 gr sugar
Coconut Milk Sauce
- 500 ml coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
1. Rinse off the cassava, set aside.
2. Boil water in the medium saucepan, add the cassava. When the cassava has softened but still firm and change to translucent add the sugar and salt. Let the water reduce almost 80%, cassava should look very translucent and very tender. Turn off the heat.
3.Making sauce : Pour the coconut milk in the saucepan, add the salt. Dissolve the cornstarch with little water or coconut milk then add to the coconut milk mixture.
4. Using small heat, boil the coconut mixture until the it gets thicken. Keep stirring for another 2 minutes and turn off the heat. Keep stirring until the steam comes off.
5. Place some cassava into bowl/serving glass pour the coconut milk sauce on top of it. Can be served cold too.